Delves into the archives and reignites the bestsellers from the past
A new series on the ABC Classics label, The Classic Recordings delves into the archives and reignites the bestsellers from the past, and the gems that make the label what it is today.
This release takes the listener back to when Australia’s hottest tenor performed the most passionate French and Italian operatic arias ever composed.
There are hits from Puccini’s La Boheme, Gluck’s Orphée, and operas by Donizetti, Verdi, Mozart and Rossini, as well as the fresh interpretation of two arias featured on Swoon II: Bononcini’s Per la Gloria and Godard’s Berceuse (Angels Guard Thee).
As a special bonus track, this album also contains the song Inside the Room, composed by David Hobson with his friend the film music composer David Hirschfelder, sung in Italian as the ravishing In Questa Stanza.
1. J’ai perdu mon Eurydice (Orphée et Eurydice)
2. Pourquoi me reveilller (Werther)
3. Je crois entendre encore (Pecheurs de Perles)
4. Una furtiva lagrima (L’Elisir d’Amore)
5. Berceuse (Jocelyn)
6. Unis des la plus tendre enfants (Iphigenie en Tauride)
7. Dalla sua pace (Don Giovanni)
8. Languir per una bella (Italiana in Algeri)
9. Ombra fedele anch’io (Broschi – Idaspe)
10. Per la gloria (Griselda)
11. Vainement ma bien’aimee (Le Roi d’Ys)
12. Salut! Demeure chaste et pure (Faust)
13. En fermant les yeux (Manon)
14. Ah, fuyez! (Manon)
15. Povero Ernesto (Don Pasquale)
16. De miei bollenti spiriti (La Traviata)
17. Che gelida manina (La Bohème)
18. In questa stanza (Hirschfelder/Hobson)
Australian tenor and composer David Hobson is one of Australia’s best known operatic and recording artists. He has sung many roles for Opera Australia and both state and international opera companies, including his award winning performances of Rodolfo (La Boheme) and the title role in Orphee.